Come see either of my CAST 2021 sessions.
Thursday, Nov 11, 2021 2:30 PM – 3:30 PM CST
Location: Sundance 6, Omni Hotel
Session Code: 20068
Friday, Nov 12, 2021 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM CST
Location: 200, Fort Worth Convention Center
Session Code: 5067
September 17, 2021
Link to AP Physics C Syllabus: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yAmMvMVS5nWjH1msWZ9L39YzWI_HWDih5dVMpy8yRmM/edit?usp=sharing
Link to IB Astronomy Syllabus: https://docs.google.com/document/d/17WB_f9H5FM-uwMnqh-cgnlCYZt2Y9YUCby7oNmj7QQc/edit?usp=sharing
Visit the Google Colab Notebook to learn about my summer 2021 research
Barriers and solutions from the 4 perspectives: 1) Black women in STEM. 2) What women in STEM 3) First-generation college students. 4) the dominant group (mainly white men). Review the Jamboard results and see how these fantastic participants laid it all out, including some solutions!
Results from live, in-session polls
What solutions we can address in our own classrooms?
- Teach your students to fight for their beliefs
- LISTEN, address, and correct while still providing a nurturing and educating environment (Kinder)
- Set an environment that makes them feel comfortable talking to you . Building anrelationship.
- Destroy stereotypes by inviting URM speakers and sponsoring mentors with my students.
- Provide an class that all are ACCEPTED!
- Listen more and take their ideas and thoughts into consideration. Build that trust
- Creating mentoring chances
- Making sure to represent all of our students’ backgrounds and show their voices.
- Building relationships and mentorships
- Co-generative dialogs with learners
How can we share our knowledge with our peers on our respective campuses?
- Listen to the learners.
- Invite speakers on diversity
- Continuing to being willing to collaborate, but also to EDUCATE.
- Town Halls on campuses to discuss our perspectives.
- Having conversations and surround yourself with a diverse group of people.
- Lead a lunch session about cultural perspectives in STEM
- During our PLCs.
- Listen to non-dominant groups